I've always loved cooking, though meal preparation during the week was always a rushed affair. However, by making some small changes, shopping and cooking have become something I enjoy every day. As Mireille Guiliano says, "French DNA is not required for the experience . . . it is a question of conditioning and priorities of which you may find that you share more with the French than you realized."
Putting it all together, one only needs to make a few small changes:
- push back the dinner hour
- have a variety of meals to take advantage of what is fresh at the grocer
- keep the fridge and pantry stocked with reliable staples
- locate a farmer's market and buy seasonal when possible
- use a pretty market bag or basket when shopping and don't overbuy
- eat bread!