Monday, December 27, 2010

Ile de France products

While cheese shopping at my new neighborhood market, I (re)discovered the Ile de France line of products.  It's been a while since I'd seen the brand in the grocery store; either Whole Foods doesn't carry the line, or I've completely missed it.

Ile de France is not the cheese maker, but rather an importer of French cheeses to the United States. Like wine, French cheese is protected under the Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC).  For example, Comté can only be called Comté if it is produced in the region Franche-Comté.  The history of Ile de France products is interesting; you can read about it on their website.  And while you're there, you can browse the very long list of recipes that includes everything from raclette to mac and cheese!

You can't miss the distinct blue, white, and red packaging--clearly French.  For the holiday, I decided on the Camembert along with some Ile de France mini-toasts, and both were delicious.  I'm thinking maybe I'll try their brie en croute for my next get together.

Have you tried any Ile de France products?

4 comments:

  1. I'm making a brie en croute for new years eve. I found the recipe on the food network website. I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, I love cheese- almost any kind, any way. I'll have to check their recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a part time Cheese Merchandiser and I love it when I get to the Brie and Camembert section with the IDF cheeses. They have such colorful packaging! It's the little things that do it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete