Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Familiarity

Changes are hard, whether they're made by choice, or foisted upon us. At the moment, I'm in unfamiliar territory: new house, a new neighborhood, a different commute.  Some of my belongings are gone; no space for them here.  I search for the best place to put the sugar, the toothpaste, the dishtowels.  In my old house, everything had its place; here, I've moved the silverware three times because I can't decide which drawer works best.  Ah, changes.

Then yesterday, I was preparing a post about the French and the utility of  kitchen scissors.  I went to get my own kitchen shears, and when I spied them in the drawer, it was like seeing an old friend in a crowd of strangers.

These kitchen scissors have been in my family for as long as I can remember.  There's nothing special about them; they're a vintage Wiss with green handles, though the paint has all but worn away.  Holding them brought on a rush of familiarity, and strange comfort.  I started thinking of all the hands that had held those scissors--my parents, my sister and brother, my husband, my son.

Tomorrow I am hosting Thanksgiving;  in a few hours my house will be filled with familiar smells and sounds, with family and friends, and I believe my new house will begin to feel familiar.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving A! I wish you a very happy and cozy holiday.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving. I love this post. It really is about the small things that make us feel like it's home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hope you feel at home soon. You're so talented in decorating, I'm sure you'll make it wonderful.

    We moved in March, and it's just now starting to feel right.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those scissors! A rush of memories just came back. They belong in the drawer to the right of the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, I hate searching and deciding where to put things. But on the other hand, one of my favorite part of the holidays is pulling out items that were made by or belonged to family members.

    ReplyDelete