Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What would you want from France?

For all kinds of reasons, I really missed not going to France this summer. One silly thing I missed was not being able to stock-up or replace non-perishable items that I use throughout the year. However, in a few weeks, my close friend is traveling to Provence and has offered to bring back a few items for me.

One of things I've requested is this 0.5L Pyrex measuring cup; sadly, mine broke over the summer and I've been eager to replace it. Taller than its American cousin, this measuring cup is perfect for a variety of kitchen tasks, including frothing warm milk for the occasional cappuccino.

I'm also going to ask my friend to bring me several boxes of fleur de sel. I usually bring home several boxes from France each summer--some to keep, some to give away. I'm down to my last box and it will be nice to have some extras in my pantry.

Finally, I want another jar or two of sucre grains de patisserie, the coarse brioche sugar. I use these coarse crystals to top brioches and other yeast breads baked during the holidays.

If your friend was going to France, what would you like to have?

7 comments:

  1. Some cafe mugs. White or French Blue. Simple but with an interesting design. Or some new (dinner) plates. Smaller than what is typically available here. I would love it if it was also in an interesting shape (like oblong or triangular). Again, White or French Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mariage Freres and Kusmi teas. I could spend hours and beaucoup d'argent in their tea rooms and boutiques in Paris. I bought enough on my last trip to last me for quite some time, but I would still ask a friend to pick up something special such as a limited edition tea in a lovely canister.
    And I'd also ask for a small box of Laduree macarons in one of their darling boxes.

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comtesse du Barry duck confit, foie gras, boules quies (wax ear plugs); La Roche Posay lip balm and efferalgan (aspirin)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the better question is what would I not want to have? Choices, choices. Well, now that I've seen the pyrex I most definitely would want one of those! But normally I would say I would like fleur de sel, maille mustard (in a crock), macarons, and a few bottles of local wine from whereever they're going.

    And that house number I won from you? Currently is in my bar area of our front room looking quite lovely. I posted pics of it on my home blog, http://www.unemaisonchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have access to the skin care products in their pharmacies. I've found some sources that I can order from here, but there was nothing like being mesmerized by the soaps and moisturizers on the shelves. Other than that, a scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm not that versed in French products, but I think cheese and make up are always good things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm just about out of blocks of olive oil Savon de Marseille. Laduree macarons. A homemade loaf of pain d'epices and maybe a jar of orange blossom or lavender honey from the little honey shop in Butte aux Cailles. And if it's not too much trouble a little something old and lacy (a hanky or a collar perhaps) from the basement of Artisanant Monastique.

    ReplyDelete