Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Marinières

A well-edited wardrobe means that a few pieces must serve many purposes. Classic styling, a neutral palette, and basic pieces combine in ways that seem to expand rather than limit possibilities.

A recent addition to my wardrobe is this classic French marinières in a dark navy blue. I've wanted one for a long time, and decided to get one for my back-to-school wear.

I've already worn it several times, so I know it's a keeper. It looks great with my jeans and Frye boots, and tres chic with my wide-leg black cropped pants and ballet flats, and I already have plans to wear it with pearls and a long, black, silk taffeta skirt to a friend's wedding in November.

J'adore pieces that can be both casual and formal, and can be worn in so many ways. It means fewer clothes in my closest, more money in my pocket, and wardrobe of go-to pieces that I know will always work for me.

Do you have any pieces like this in your wardrobe?

6 comments:

  1. I do! Everything in my closet has to do double (or more) duty. I am so excited about your pairing of the tee and the taffeta skirt. I <3 it! Please let us know how you liked the effect, because in my head it sounds just fabulous!
    P.S. I am REALLY enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do jeans count? Oh, black skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black footless tights.

    An animal print velor knee length jacket.

    A black scoop neck short sleeve knit dress.

    I need more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A,
    I think I need one of these. Could you point me in the right direction to find one that is navy with white ... perfect colors.
    thanks
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops. I did find one on the Ron Herman website. Do you like the collar? I am turning more toward crew necks than ever before ... not sure why they are suddenly more appealing to me. I wish one day you would take snapshots of your closet ... I think I woudl find so much inspiration there as we hvae similar styles and tastes in clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should say "neckline" not collar. sorry for the comments overload today. It is satruday and I'm indulging in blog surfing!

    ReplyDelete