Monday, September 20, 2010

Lessons on Living with Less

In a few weeks, I will be moving to a new house. I'll leave behind a four bedroom house with a dining room, living room, family room, home office, a big yard, as well as a full attic and attached garage.

I'll be moving into a two bedroom townhouse, with a small living and dining room, a small galley kitchen, and a basement. No garage, no attic, and limited storage. In this interim period, my house is on the market and has to be show-ready at a moment's notice, which means daily cleaning, no clutter, and spare, open spaces.

The process of downsizing (and it is a process) has taken months, discarding and giving-away a lifetime of stuff. At first, I was dreading the process, thinking it was going to be physically and emotionally overwhelming. What I discovered was exactly the opposite.

In my next few posts, I'd like to share what I've learned on this journey; lessons on living with less. These posts will not be about bringing touches of France into my life, but have been inspired by several of the francophile blogs I read, and discussions on the French Chic group about decluttering. The posts are also inspired by my desire to (finally) achieve a well-edited life.

5 comments:

  1. I find decluttering and culling cathartic. It's a journey and you've got to be in the mood to action it. I only want to be surrounded by things that add value to my life and frankly I don't want to be surrounded by the evidence of my bad decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading how you did it and what it was like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still so impressed with how much you got rid of this summer.

    ReplyDelete