Monday, September 27, 2010

Lessons on Living with Less

Living with less, simplifying, downsizing--call it what you will--is not for everyone.  Let's face it, there are times in our life that demand we have a full house.

For example, children have a lot of stuff:  toys, books, art, papers are a part of raising children and it's not practical to consider downsizing.  Newlyweds have a lot of stuff: setting up house is an expensive endeavor and shower and wedding gifts take up a lot of space.  People who work at home also need a lot of stuff:  supplies, computers, fax machines, copiers are a necessary part of running a business.

But living with less is working for me.  It has been liberating to unburden myself of the excess in my life.  I love the sense of order and calm in my home, and knowing exactly what I have, and exactly where I can find something if I need it.

5 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head! What's nice about living with less is not only the peace and calm you experience without the clutter, but actually knowing what you have and where to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherie, I see on your blog that you're doing some fall editing of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot crafty people- that requires a lot of stuff. I think my craft room had almost as many boxes as the kitchen. How do you handle holiday decor? That creates stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a valuable article that can raise awareness about simple living. I wish that many people would wake up and read about this. It is a topic that resonates with millions of people. Thanks so much for this posting. I look forward to further news and announcements. ~~Allow me to share with you a beautiful new book -- for those interested in seeking the simple life: "Little Gifts of Sustainable Contentment," By C.J. Good. Check it out, (look inside for free - now), read it, then please pass it on to others you care about...:) http://www.sustainablecontentment.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read more about your "living with less" challenge. I was just talking about this with a friend today. All I need is a hot shower, a comfy bed, good food on the table and fuller hair :)

    ReplyDelete