Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lesson #4: Cleaning

When you have your house on the market, it has to show-ready at a moment's notice.  For the homeowner that means daily cleaning and upkeep: clothes are hung up, shower and sink are wiped down, and every surface is dust free.

It took me a few days to establish a daily cleaning routine, but by the end of the first week I had it down.  I'm an early riser, so every morning I take fifteen minutes to wipe off, pick up, and put away.  This means that I walk out the door leaving a house that is clean and ready for anyone who walks through the door.

And that includes me.

Yes, an unexpected benefit to this daily routine is that I get to enjoy it too!  It is a pleasure to come home at the end of the day to a home that is clean and tidy--what a treat.  I used to save cleaning house for the weekend, but now a few minutes each morning actually saves me time; the weekends aren't spent cleaning house, or feeling guilty because I'm not.

4 comments:

  1. I'm greatly enjoying this series. Though I'm not selling my house, I am trying to downsize my possessions and improve my housekeeping skills. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coming home to a clean house. Although, I'm the opposite and clean late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A clean house can be so calming. I love looking in my hamper and seeing no laundry; the sink no dishes, and the carpet nice and clean. I wish you the best of luck! ck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep things clean by never letting anything stack up. My sweet Irish Grandmother used to tell me that our Brownies (good-natured house goblins) would not be happy if we went to bed with dishes in the sink. :)

    ReplyDelete