Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lesson #1: Committing

Like any other life change, the decision to live with less should stem from a commitment to change the way one wants to live.

For me, it was a forced changed; downsizing because I am moving. But living with less is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and this was the time to do it. I was ready to commit.

What did committing mean for me? It meant 112 trips up and down the attic stairs. It meant carrying heavy boxes and getting dirty. It meant going through hundreds of photographs, one-by-one. It meant keeping only one or two things (not twenty) that belonged to my mother. It meant reading a letter one last time. And, it meant knowing that most things can be replaced, and some things never can.

But, once I committed, everything started to fall into place.

1 comment: