Saturday, September 25, 2010

Lesson #3: Decorating

Selling a house today is not the same as selling a house twenty years ago.  It used to be, if you were putting your house on the market, you might do a bit of fix-up, maybe some painting, and put the "FOR SALE" sign on the lawn.

But I've watched enough HGTV to know that the presentation of the house--the staging--can have an impact on buyers.  So, after weeding out all the excess, it was time to decorate, or stage my house for sale.

My realtor works with several home stagers, and I had the good fortune to work with the stager who echoed my American-Modern-Thomas-O'Brien-Paris-apartment-aesthetic.  Using only my furniture and accessories, he rearranged furniture, hung mirrors and art, and placed rugs and lamps to create clean, open spaces.  It was great fun, and I learned so much through the experience.

For example, I learned I like a limited palette in my home--taupey-greys, black, and white--almost identical to my wardrobe!  I've also learned to LOVE mirrors (I've never even had a mirror in my bedroom) for the way they reflect light and open up a room.  I have a new appreciation of how architectural features such a windows, doors, and trim become part of the decor.  The result is a restful calm created by the absence--rather than the addition--of things. You can click on the photo for a better view of my living room.

The less-is-more philosophy has helped me appreciate my home in a new way, and when I move in a few weeks, I'll be applying those lessons to my new house.

5 comments:

  1. Mirrors are such a great tool to use in a house. Not only are they beautiful, but like you said, they really open up a room and bounce light around. It's helped me with a small house immensely. I like the idea of a limited color palette in home decorating too. I think I unconsciously did this when I re-decorated adding in a lot of white and linen basics. It must have been fun seeing how someone else pulled your things together in your own home. It's like looking at what you have with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that table, it use to be in your entryway right? So many uses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh, good eye! Yes, the table was in my foyer, but I love it in the living room.

    Stephanie, the mirrors are fabulous--what a difference they make. And yes, it is like looking at furnishings with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just found your blog this past Friday and I absolutely adore it! I read through all your posts from the past two years this weekend. Can't wait for future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice decorating tips. thanks. Sarah James Decorating Ideas

    ReplyDelete