Friday, July 23, 2010

Week-end Simple: Enjoy some basil

Here in the DC area it's the height of summer and everything is rich and ripe and ready to be picked. Tomorrow at the farmers market I'm sure to find beautiful tomatoes which I plan to serve with the basil from my petit potager.

Basil is the summer herb. Chopped in a bruschetta, made into pistou, or served atop a slice of mozarella and tomato, basil tastes of summer. You can even cut a bunch of basil to put in vase for a the perfect summer centerpiece.

This fragrant herb can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, so treat yourself this weekend to the simple pleasure of basil.

Bon week-end!

3 comments:

  1. I love basil! And mine are exploding from those evening rainstorms we had. I'm going to make some pesto today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love basil, it's such a versatile herb. I did a basil and cilantro swordfish steak dinner earlier this summer that was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My latest favorite is a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich with tomatoes, red onion and basil. The blend of these flavors is a favorite comfort food of mine.

    ReplyDelete