Monday, July 5, 2010

Salade Niçoise

One of the things I will miss about not going to France this summer is the lunches that we would have. Unless my sister invites guests, our lunches in Annecy are not events, but we always take time to set the table, prepare something enjoyable, and gather for the meal.

So, this summer, here at home, I am earnest about having the same experience: setting aside the time to prepare and enjoy le déjeuner. Last week, I enjoyed lunch on my patio, under the umbrella. Yesterday it was on the dock, after swimming in the lake. And today, it was salade niçoise at the dining room table.

Originating from the Côte d'Azur region of France, the Niçoise salad was made famous here in the US by Julia Child. There are several variations: some with anchovies, some without. Some include fresh peppers, other recipes don't. Then there is the canned tuna variation v. Alice Waters' fresh, seared tuna version.

I've prepared this tasty salad a variety of ways, and my opinion is that if the ingredients are fresh, any version of this salade is delicious!

5 comments:

  1. I just had a fresh seared ahi tuna one on Saturday and it was delicious. I think what it really comes down to is the quality of ingredients and how good the light french dressing is. I'm going through all of the recipes in Joanne Harris' French Kitchen and French Market this year, to bring a little bit of it into my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also a meal that you can feel good about eating. It's full of good fats, protein and lots of vegetables. And it won't make you feel sluggish afterward. I'll have to put that on my mental menu for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one from whole foods with potatoes, tasty. And of course I topped mine with feta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first time I had this dish - at my friend Maura's house one summer afternoon. And then I realized it was very close to the salad my mother always made for us in the summer ... almost exact! We didn't call it anything fancy - just salad for dinner in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my first salad nicoise in Provence last summer. There are some variations, but the fish was usually canned tuna. Have heard it is based on using preserved fish.

    ReplyDelete