Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cooking for one

A recent thread on the French Chic boards has been daily shopping, and, cooking for one. I have long been a fan of daily shopping; I believe it yields the freshest food and the least waste. But I have never shopped for one, and have seldom cooked just for me.

In her book, The Pleasures of Cooking for One, author and editor Judith Jones recalls that after her husband died, she wasn't sure she would ever enjoy preparing a meal for herself and eating it alone. This is not an uncommon thought; many of us--women and men--live on our own, and the thought of cooking for just one feels more like a chore than a pleasure. When my son leaves for college in a few weeks, I will join the ranks of those who shop and cook for one, and I'm not sure what to expect.

When it comes to cooking, you might think that being solo has its disadvantages; everything in the grocery store seems to be geared toward families. But, if you think it through, there are no disadvantages: you cook what you want, when you want, how you want. The only person you need to please is yourself.

Inspired by the questions and comments of the French Chic group, I decided to take on the topic. This week on My French Corner, I'd like to explore the possibilities that exist when you are simply cooking for one.

Next post: How would a Frenchwoman shop?

1 comment:

  1. When I was in my last year at university I taught myself to cook quite a bit. I would make salmon and potatoes for myself. I would broil a steak. There was a grocery store in town that I could buy a piece or two of meat to enjoy, and it really did make it feel special to set the table with cloth napkin and candles, even for just me. But more importantly, cooking for one prepares you for cooking for more people, and I loved entertaining my friends for nice dinners!

    ReplyDelete