Friday, May 14, 2010

Week-end Simple: Prepare a French vinaigrette

I enjoy writing these week-end simple posts; while the suggestions are French-inspired, they are easy things that anyone can do here at home in the US.

This weekend's weather is unpredictable, so I'd like to suggest something that you could enjoy indoors or out: an authentic French vinaigrette.
There are so many recipes for vinaigrettes, and they're all a variation on the same ingredients. If you don't have a recipe, you might want to try this one by David Lebovitz.

My recipe calls for just five ingredients: vinegar, oil, shallots, Dijon mustard, and salt. Taken alone these ingredients aren't so sexy, but when married they create a perfect culinary union. This weekend I'll be drizzling vinaigrette on some tender spring asparagus. Et toi?
Bon week-end!

7 comments:

  1. I watched a French chef mix this simple dressing the way his mother used to - ever so slowly, with a fork.

    : )

    Just the other day I saw it, too.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe and reminder to make this simple yet delicious dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a homemade dressing is so much more flavorful than store bought and so easy too. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to have fresh veggies in my backyard to use this with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog. Love the blue door on the header. I, too, am inspired by the blue doors of Francre -- especially when set against something red (at my house a market umbrella on a bistro set and and a big pot of geraniums).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the vinaigrette--and the weekend--was great! Hope you all enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete