Monday, May 17, 2010

Picardie glasses

A few weeks ago I loaned out my favorite glasses to a friend who was having a dinner party. In the process of borrowing and returning, a number of glasses were broken, and I no longer have a complete set. C'est la vie. I want to replace the broken glasses, Crate and Barrel no longer carries it.

Enter the Picardie glass.

The Picardie is ubiquitous in France; made from tempered glass it can be used for hot or cold drinks. The Picardie can be seen in bistros and cafes across France and in French homes. Small enough for a child's hands, these glasses are even used in school cafeterias.

Manufactured by Duralex since 1929, the Picardie is available from a number of vendors, including Design Within Reach and Williams-Sonoma. I've also heard they can sometimes be found at World Market. (And if you don't want to pay a premium price for the original, IKEA has a Picardie knock-off that bears a resemblance to the original.)

Don't you love affordable, authentic French touches for your home? Don't you love these glasses?

6 comments:

  1. I never knew these glasses could serve hot liquids till I went to one of the Bay Boulangeries for le petit, and they served me hot tea in one -- with a java jacket around it. Now that is how I drink my tea at home every morning. In fact, I'm doing it right now.

    Sorry to hear about your broken glasses. :o(

    Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them. What sizes did you get? I'm always looking for glasses for small hands. I also prefer my wine out of glasses like this. I don't like wine glasses. Thanks once again A for being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, I haven't purchased them yet, but if World Market has them, it looks like they might have the best price.

    M, isn't it nice that you can serve hot in them as well? I was thinking a nice espresso with some froth would be nice . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, but I'm sorry yours were broken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love those glasses! And what I love most about them is the fact that they can be used for hot or cold. I like my coffee in a glass mug.
    Thanks for turning me on to these! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like those! My favorite glasses are similar and also from World Market, but mine are not tapered. Recently I found 10 of them at a thrift shop, in perfect condition. Fifty cents each -- score!

    Beth G.

    ReplyDelete