Friday, April 23, 2010

Week-end Simple: Handwash your dishes

There is something meditative and sensual about washing dishes by hand. The silky warm water, the squeek and gleam, the pleasure of caring for dishes that you've had for years. I don't use a dish drainer, so I place my dishes on a soft, linen towel for a few minutes before drying and putting them away.

I appreciate my dishwasher, but use it only once or twice a week; handwashing a few dishes is easier than the rinsing, loading, and the dreaded unloading. And if you've spent time in a French home you know that a dishwasher is a luxury; precious undercounter space is more likely to be used for storage, or a washing machine.

Even if you can't live without your dishwasher, this weekend, keep it simple: wash a few dishes by hand. And if I can't convince you, this beautiful post by Corey Amaro from Tongue in Cheek will certainly do it.

Bon week-end!

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a dishwasher and I don't mind. I like washing them on my own (within reason of course) and when I was younger it was my job to load and unload the dishwasher and I always hated it. I take pleasure in hand washing now because of that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like washing dishes on occasion. It's a very tactile experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you enjoy it that much, you are welcome to come wash my dishes this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tiny cottage has no dishwasher except for me!
    I find that I use my old and special, more delicate dishes much more often since they will be hand washed. Makes everyday special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact
    was a amusement account it. Look advanced to
    more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?



    My web site Samurai Siege Hack Tool

    ReplyDelete