Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ricard Pastis de Marseille

When I returned from France last summer, tucked into my suitcase was a small bottle of Ricard Pastis de Marseille.

While every French and francophile in the world knows about pastis, until last summer I had never tasted it. It took a more than a few sips to get used to the anise flavor, but by the end of my stay in France, I could say that I enjoyed it.

The clear, amber liquid turns a milky white when mixed with water, and is referred to as the milk of Provence. Pastis has an interesting history, and the story of Ricard Pastis, annointed "le vrai pastis de Marseille,” is worthy of a novel.

I bought a bottle and brought it home with me, put it my pantry. There it waits for that first warm weather evening when I'll bring out the pastis, serve up an apéro, and immediately be transported back to those wonderful late afternoons and evenings in Annecy.

9 comments:

  1. I've been curious about that since reading Peter Mayle. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastis reminds me of being in two places: the first is the old port in Marseille, where my friend and I had a drink every night while sitting outside in the dark, watching the lights in the harbor and trying not to be blown away by the Mistral; and the second is Bistrot du Coin in Dupont Circle, where I always go with another friend when I'm in D.C. Traditionally, it's a summer drink, but oddly, my associations are all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ, now you have to try it!

    And thank you so much for passing on the "Sunshine Award" and the nice things you said about my blog! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsi, it's so funny you should mention Bistrot du Coin; it came up in conversation the other day when trying to decide where to go for lunch in the city. I haven't been there in months but now I really want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this. Is it an alcoholic drink or more like a juice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bottle was at almost every meal in Anthony Bordain's recent Provence show. They talked about it too. I have not tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a wonderful broiled oysters recipie that call for a tiny amount of it but makes all the difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have several bottles as well, so refreshing on a summer day. We just had mussels cooked with pastis and fennel - so good!

    ReplyDelete