Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Le quatre heure

Last Saturday, author and photographer Lucy Vanel did a guest post for The Kitchn. Vanel, who is based in Lyon, France, blogs about food on Lucy's Kitchen Notebook. Her guest post on The Kitchn, a tribute piece, is both touching and informative.

The quatre heure, literally "the four o'clock," is snack time for children in France. Le quatre heure, also known as le heure goûter, or simply le goûter, is a French tradition; when children come home from school they may have some cheese, a pain au chocolat or a yogurt. And during summers in Annecy with my sister and my nephews, we always pause in the afternoon for a little snack. It reminds me of my own snack time growing up; we would come home to cookies and milk every afternoon.

Even as a grown-up, I still enjoy this time, a pause in the day. For me, it's a chance to be still, gather my thoughts, and relax before the busyness of the evening begins.

Do you enjoy"le quatre heure?"

7 comments:

  1. I've recently started working in the office a few days a week, and I love coming home and having a cup of tea before I start making dinner. It's been a big lifestyle change, but one that I'm liking and I enjoy those few quiet minutes with my tea and a book before the evening's proceedings start.

    Off to read your links!

    Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most definitely enjoy a "le quatre heure"! Instead of cookies and milk, for me , it's tea and scones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! It would be nice to do it at home, but even at work a little snack and personal email/cnn time helps me relax and regroup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind mention. I'll certainly be thinking of you this afternoon when my boy and I sit down for our quatre heure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to have a flavored tea. I drink a lot of water so anything different is like a treat for me and it feels special. That's my little break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of when I used to go to my gran's house after school (in Malta) and we'd have tea and toast (maltese bread) with butter and jam. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete