Monday, May 10, 2010

Cafe Deluxe

Yesterday I was treated to dinner at my favorite restaurant, Cafe Deluxe. In a city filled with 5 star restaurants, why is this my favorite? I know it mystifies my family, but I can tell you in one word: French.

From the moment you walk into Cafe Deluxe on Wisconsin Avenue, you feel like you've been transported to a bistro or brasserie in Paris.

Part of it is the decor: the large mirrors, the square tables covered in white tablecloths, the café chairs. Then there are the waiters, all in white shirts and black trousers, with their crisp white bistro aprons. Of course there is the food, though it's not exclusively French. And, it is a neighborhood restaurant with lots of families having dinner and lots of chatter.

There is no pretense at Cafe Deluxe, no menu offerings with ingredients you don't recognize, no kitschy French decor. Just ambience that is full of energy and happiness, everyone enjoying themselves.

J'adore Cafe Deluxe!

11 comments:

  1. I've never been, can we go this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and then discovered with this post that you must be in DC ... ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about a polyvore with a spring capsule?please...
    efi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, yes, I am in DC. Small world!

    Leigh, yes, we will go to Cafe Deluxe this summer and sit on the patio!

    efi, you have to check out MaiTai's Picture Book; she just started a series on capsule wardrobes. You can find a link to her blog on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the link however your style is closer to my way of living.efi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually going to be in DC on business in a couple of weeks and was looking for someplace nearby to have dinner. This looks like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, do you know where you'll be staying in DC? I'd love to make some other recommendations for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. How nice. I'm staying in the Glover Park area so I'm looking for something in that neighborhood or Georgetown. I used to travel this way frequently but the restaurant scene changes so much that a lot of my old favorites are gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathy,
    There are many great choices. Are you staying at either the Holiday Inn, or the Savoy Suites Hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I didn't see your reply post until I got back home, but did have dinner at La Chaumiere on M Street in Georgetown. It was excellent (highly recommend the magret of duck in black currant sauce, the rack of lamb and the apple tart as well as the grilled oysters with spinach). This bistro reminds me a lot of one of my favorite places in Paris, L'Ambassade d'Auvergne. I would love to hear more of your suggestions. I travel to the DC area at least 1-2 times per year -- either on business in the Georgetown area and/or to visit my sister out in the 'burbs. When on business I usually stay at the Savoy or the hotel down by the Woodley /Adams Morgan metro stop.

    ReplyDelete