Saturday, March 27, 2010

Week-end Simple: Use butter

We're all familiar with Julia Child's love affair with butter. "If you're afraid of butter, use cream!" We're equally familiar with the health risks associated with eating animal fat. Then there is the alleged "French paradox": the French consume more saturated fat than Americans, yet experience fewer health problems because they drink red wine. Who knows?

But this weekend, put the chatter aside and indulge in one of life's simplest pleasures: butter.

I'm not suggesting you slather your baguette with butter; that would be excessive, n'est ce pas? What I am suggesting is that this weekend, enjoy a little butter on your asparagus. Or your spring peas. Or your baguette. At least for me, there is nothing that compares to sweet cream butter to complement the flavor of fresh food.

Yes, Julia did have a love affair with butter. But, she also said, "We should enjoy food and have fun. It is one of the simplest and nicest pleasures in life." I happen to agree. So this weekend give yourself permission to enjoy a taste of butter, one of the simplest and nicest pleasures in life.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm, butter. It makes me sad there are so many imitations out there because nothing beats real butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a serious love affair with butter. Serious. Bread (meaning a french baquette) and butter is literally my favoirite food in the world. My very favorite. Thank you for this fabulous post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butter, but eat very little, I savor it for special moments, one thing is for sure, I can never eat a jambon sandwich ever again with just mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Due to allergies, I can not partake in this as I would like. However, I will take on Julia's challenge and enjoy my food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only bought/served butter to my family for over 17 years. We are very healthy. I also use "real" cream, sour cream and whole milk etc. La

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever made butter? C'est simple, and it tastes great. Basically, it's whipping heavy cream in a standing mixer till it turn into butter, straining it, and voila.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy flavored butters- apple, honey, herb and on special days- Irish butter.

    ReplyDelete