Thursday, March 4, 2010

Goal: Be As Kind As Possible

I rarely go into my son's room anymore, mostly because it's nearly impossible to open the door with all the clothes and books and pizza boxes all over the floor. It's the bedroom of a typical 18 year old boy.

But last weekend I needed to make my way up to the attic, which is accessed from the closet in my son's room. I fought my way in, carefully picked my way across the room, and got what I needed from the attic. On my way out, I was greeted by this Post-It my son had stuck on the back of his door.

I have no idea how long this has been on his door, or why he put it there. Is this the daily mantra he needs to deal with his mother? Or, is it simply a reminder to be as kind as possible, every day?

My son is a wonderful, talented, gentle person and he does so many things that make me proud. But this scrap of paper scrawled with a simple message is the best gift I have every received.

12 comments:

  1. That is so very sweet A. You have raised a good boy no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely.. very heart warming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! You are obviously doing a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing what our children can do to stop us in our tracks.....inspiring. A copy of this post it will immediately go on my back door to remind me each time I see it now only of the goal we should all aspire to, but the quiet humbleness your son has demonstrated in approaching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A,
    You are obviously a fantastic mother. This post made me teary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the mother of a 17 yr old boy who has recently shown great kindness by volunteering at the Nursing Home up the street I can fully appreciate your joy. Sometimes he's not so nice to me, but I know he is finding something valuable in his actions at the Sunrise. My heart can feel your pride and, as others have mentioned, you have been obviously doing something very right! La

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky you are to have the privilege to be the mother of such a wonderful man!

    And remember that you had something to do with that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done good, big sis! He is an amazing boy--I just hope I can see such a similar note on my boys' door one day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice message to be greeted with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must just want to explode with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How thoughtful, simple and mature. He might leave ice cream on the counter, but he knows what matters.

    ReplyDelete