Monday, February 15, 2010

My pantry

Last week, back-to-back snowstorms in the DC area sent folks scrambling to the grocery stores. I did my part by snatching up three bags of spinach, two small poulets, and the seven remaining pieces of bacon in the butcher's case (seriously, there were only seven slices).

Last year I posted about shopping for food "the French way" but last week, shopping daily wasn't possible. (Last Tuesday I walked to the grocery store for fruit and produce, and the cases were empty!) So, in addition to the few perishables I had on hand, I relied on my refrigerator and pantry staples. Onions, shallots, potatoes, garlic, nuts, dried pasta, as well as eggs, butter, cheese made their way into many dinners over the past eight days. I was so thankful to have staples on hand, and to be able to enjoy cooking and baking without worrying about ingredients.

J'adore my pantry. Created fron reclaimed space under the stairs, it's a walk-in with five long shelves that go to the ceiling. In addition to storage for food, there's space for table linens, serving pieces, sets of extra dishes for entertaining, oversize cooking pots and pans, and plenty of floor space for cases of wine and water.

But, as you can tell from the photo, my pantry is nearly empty. After ten days without grocery shopping, I need to make the trip to the grocery store . . .

Bon lundi!

p.s If you're interested in learning more about the history and use of the pantry, you might enjoy reading or paging through this book, The Pantry, by Catherine Pond.

11 comments:

  1. I am envious of your pantry. I once had a house with one and it was so useful - I loved it. Yours looks a little like Nigella Lawson's - lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love your pantry as well.
    I use the same glass containers and I also have that same exact red round tin on the bottom shelf. I keep my homemade laundry detergent in it. You can see it on my post about laundry not long ago.
    Hope you have a great week and aren't too swamped with getting back to work stuff.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. SE, thank you for the compliment. I would rather have a walk-in pantry than a walk-in closet! I have to check out Nigella Lawson's for some inspiration.

    K, okay, it's too conicidental that we have the same glass containers AND the same tin . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, girl, I love your pantry, too! How nice to get snowed in yet not have it completely cramp your style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsi, well, the stock was pretty low when I took this pic earlier today; a few more days of snow and we would have been eating oatmeal and rice for every meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My future son-in-law is Dutch and his pantry is so packed full of goodies that he never has to go to the grocery! I stayed there for a week and got to cook dinner from his larder and I have never even seen some of the delicious foods he had tucked in there. Must be a European thing! Love that I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Kim! I love when readers comment, and hope that you visit and share often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pantry! It's very inspiring and makes me want to clean out and organize my tiny little cabinet I call a pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snowpocalypse left my poor pantry a disorganized mess. My daughter had a good time playing with everything eye level. This post was a great inspiration to get things back in order. S. Pellegrino, stocked? I KNEW I liked you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A, you are so funny! Pellegrino is an indulgence, but buying it by the case makes it affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fun post! I like that you labeled everything, great font by the way. You do have an awesome pantry. Chester enjoys it too.

    ReplyDelete