Sunday, February 28, 2010

Historic house hunting

As some of you know, I'm house hunting, which means later today I'll be visiting open houses in my future neighborhood, Fairlington, Virginia.

I've settled on Fairlington as my new community because it offers much of what I love about my current home and neighborhood: close to DC, small and modest brick homes built in the 1940s, a strong, active community, a walking neighborhood, and an urban sensibility. Also, like my current neighborhood, Maywood, Fairlington is on the National Register of Historic Places which ensures that its historic architecture will be preserved. And I love the architecture.

In Fairlington, all buildings are of the Colonial Revival style. Gable roofs predominate, followed by hipped roofs, flat roofs, gambrel roofs, and a handful of mansard roofs, and most roofs are slate. The windows are six-over-six double-hung sash. Front entrances are sheltered by porches or stoops and have hipped, shed or gable roofs supported by wooden Tuscan or Doric columns, square or turned wooden posts. Typical details include dentils and other decorative wood molding. If you click on the photo you can read a little about the history of the community.

Fairlington is a lovely village and I'm hoping to find the perfect place that will one day become my lovely Paris apartment. Wish me bonne chance!

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a charming neighborhood. I love older homes with details like that. Good luck, I know you will find the perfect home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonne Chance dear A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops that was from kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, good luck! I hope you find EXACTLY what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief! I grew up in Fairlington in the 1950's.....South Wakefield Street. It was the most idyllic place to be a child. I have the most wonderful memories. I know it has retained its character and you're a short bus ride from DC and/or Old Towne where you can find every stylish French accessory for your new spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fairlington's so nice, you'll enjoy it, considering you're smack in the middle of the DC area where it's so transient, perhaps there will be real 'roots' and families. I grew up in the DC suburbs, so I know a little of what I'm talking about first-hand! Let us know what's on your horizon. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you move to Farlington you will be really close to our home in S. Arlington. It's so odd that we end up meeting neighbors on the internet! Good luck with your search - so many lovely places around here.

    Arlington, Alexandria and Farlington are such interesting places. As Margaret said, the area tends to be transient, but these communities have real deep roots. My neighbor, a woman in her 50's now lives in the home she lived in as a child. She moved away, her parents died, and she returned to live in the same home with her family. Several other neighbors knew her when she was a child.

    I think that is rare in every American city nowadays!

    ReplyDelete