Sunday, February 7, 2010

1 Sweater, 5 Ways

I started My French Corner because I wanted to write about the ways I include simple French touches in my life: habits, cultural experiences, food. But, I knew there were two topics I probably wouldn’t post about: fashion and decorating.

Then, a recent thread on the French Chic list about uniform dressing style--maybe inspired by this post on GOOP--made me think it might be fun to explore the idea on my blog. This style is where one has a few basic items in her (or his) wardrobe, and she (or he) wears those items often--sometimes several times a week, sometimes every day. Many of you will agree this is tres French, tres European.

One of my favorite bloggers, Kristi of La Bella Figura, is expert at uniform dressing. Those of us who follow her blog love the different looks she creates just by changing her accessories--scraves, boots, jewelry.

Kristi and I discovered we have similar taste when it comes to clothes, and even have some of the same items in our closet. So we thought it might be fun to dual post on the subject of small wardrobes and making do with less in our closets. We decided to choose one item from our closet—a grey oversized sweater—and mix it up five ways, one for every weekday.

For the past few days we've been experimenting with different combinations (though I suspect Kristi's are much more creative than mine!) I know Kristi has invited her readers to experiment on their own by selecting one favorite piece of clothing and trying out different ways to wear it, and I invite you to do the same.

7 comments:

  1. Love the intro! I want that sweater in the picture, too. I don't know what my problem was -- I should have posted a pic of a gray sweater but couldn't find one I liked!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so down with this series! I love both of your blogs and grey is quickly becoming a staple in my wardrobe. I like that it's softer than black but still a great neutral. I will be tuning in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to following this series!
    La

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of this - would so enjoy the idea of just having a few choices in my wardrobe and mixing them well... Looking forward to this series.. (no pressure of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your posts about this sweater !!! Very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just come across your blog I love the pics. I think uniform dressing is good, I tend to do the same its so easy when u pick just a few colours to work with.

    ReplyDelete