Thursday, February 4, 2010

Aligot

Believe it or not, there is a French take on mashed potatoes. Aligot, a regional dish from Aveyron, is the ultimate combination of potatoes, garlic, butter, milk, and cheese. Lots of cheese.

I didn't make it for dinner, but if you want to make the aligot pictured here, visit The Way the Cookie Crumbles for the recipe.

What I did make was my version of French mashed potatoes, sans cheese but avec olive oil. These are different from traditional mashed potatoes because I use a hand mixer to whip the potatoes. Using a mixer on potatoes yields a more elastic result, but the addition of olive oil ensures a super creamy potatoes more akin to a puree than a mash.

Served alongside a thinly sliced steak au poivre with a silky reduction sauce, this dinner was pretty close to heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Don't mess with my mashed potatoes- it is my all time favorite savory food. I like it classic- butter, milk, salt and a tiny bit of pepper. No sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic or "green stuff". I take it very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A,
    These were fabulous. My 4 year old and I were stuck home -- she has had no appetite with a fever, but I made these with the little food I had in the house (I subbed cream cheese for gruyere) and the little one and I ate them up for lunch today. She put her thumbs up and said "two thumbs up!"
    K

    ReplyDelete