Thursday, February 11, 2010

1 Sweater, 5 Ways (and a love story): Thursday

This morning I reached for my Gap jeans and paired them with my grey sweater and light grey cami that I bought at Target. I added a long, navy wool challis scarf that's warm but lightweight, and the navy blue looks great with the grey. Then, I pulled on my Frye boots.

Jeudi

I have always loved boots, and I especially love these boots. I got my first pair of Fryes when I was a junior in high school, a Christmas present from my parents. Those boots and I went steady through high school and was faithful to them throughout college, a perfect match for my boho-hippie-style. After college I abandoned my Fryes for a pair of sophisticated knee high black Anne Klein boots, which suited a more grown-up-new-graduate-first-job style.

A few years later my career path (and style) changed, and I took up with Tony Lama, falling head over heels for those authentic cowboy boots with their bad boy attitude. I had a few boot flings after that, including a couple of embarrasing months with Steve Madden, an experimental phase with Betsey Johnson, and a completely misguided affair with Doc Martens. What was I thinking?

I finally settled down, got married, became a mom. For a while it seems I swore off boots altogether (couldn't find a pair comfortable enough for chasing a toddler?) When my son turned nine, I returned to school to pursue my teaching degree. Being back on a campus brought back college memories, and once again I found myself longing for a pair of boots. Lucky for me, Frye was still around. I rediscovered my orignal love and we've been together ever since.

10 comments:

  1. I love your style! And love your story about the boots ... I'm still on the hunt for some vintage Tony Lama cowboy boots. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I do love a good love story, just in time for Valentine's Day!

    But seriously, it's funny how we knew our style when we were young women, then kind of got a little confused somewhere along the way, and often find ourselves right where we started once we remember who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those books, they work with so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, keep looking and you too will find true love (in a vintage pair of Tony Lamas!)

    Thanks, Leigh. (My work friends are so polite and never comment on the fact that I wear the same boots 4 out of 5 days . . .)

    Marsi, thanks for picking up on the love story/Valentines connection--I worked hard on that! In fact, I've amended the title of today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A,
    LOVE your love story. How neat that as you found yourself again, you returned to your "sole mate" :).
    I love boots and I will keep the number I own shrouded in mystery :) Ah well, chalk it up to the Texan in me. Boots are my favorite temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Akhirah, I can't believe I missed the sole mate angle--that's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story A! First, who knew brown and grey would look so great together but it does, especially with a pop of color with that scarf. Those are really great boots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your outfit today and those boots - and I think Marsi is right - maybe when we are younger we do 'know' our style and then veer off on different paths along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hеya і’m for thе first time heге.
    I сame acrosѕ thіѕ bοагd and I to fіnd It tгuly helpful & it helpеd me out much.
    I hope to offer one thing again anԁ help others likе you helρed mе.


    Mу wеb blog - losing weight after 50

    ReplyDelete
  10. These aгe аctually great idеas in regarԁing blogging.

    Yοu haѵe touched sοme ρleaѕant factоrs heгe.


    Any way κeер up wrinting.

    Alѕo visit my wеblog; gardening Tips

    ReplyDelete