Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wild Pig Viognier

What pairs well with lobster ravioli in a delicate tomato cream sauce? Wild Pig Viognier, of course.

Actually, I'd never heard of Viognier, but like several other wines I've tried this week, the label--and the name--caught my eye. At $9.98 the bottle of Wild Pig just squeaked in under my $10 limit. The flavor is similar to chardonnay, but different (this is where a wine vocabulary would be helpful).

But even without a wine vocabulary to describe it, I could imagine serving Wild Pig Viognier with any number of seafood or pork dishes, or anytime you want a bit of a change from your usual chardonnay.

I read that Wild Pig wines are one of many "old wines being made in a new way," though I'm not sure what this means. Do you have any idea?

7 comments:

  1. This sounds good... will look out for it in Oz! (and am sure I will find it if I look in Uk when I am back...) thanks...
    S-E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viognier is my favorite white wine...it always tastes like sweet gum to me (lychee in other parts of the world besides the Southern US) with an almost jello-like finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm that ravioli sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh, it's only because of the Italian Store that I have lobster ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viognier is among my least favorite wines - it tastes like someone dropped perfume into your glass. I know others like it - but one of the wine "words" to use with Viognier is "floral."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, merci Michele. Maybe that was the word I was looking for when I said that viognier was similar to chardonnay, but different. So helpful to have a wine vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like it. They're doing a 2 for 1 offer in the supermarket this week. I like "floral type" wines and can imagine serving this with a gourmet type salad, maybe with some strong cheeses. It would certainly stand up to them.

    ReplyDelete