Friday, January 8, 2010

A week of French wines

Yesterday at the grocers, I had a little extra time and spent it browsing the wine section. When it comes to buying wine I'm a creature of habit, meaning I always buy the same thing. I buy what I like, what tastes good to me, and what I can afford.

I don't know a thing about wine, and terms such as "angular," "bouquet," and "cloying" are for the experts. But I do know that there are a number of great wines that aren't expensive and would easily fit within my weekly budget.

It's a new year, and time to try new things, n'est-ce pas? So I'm going to go out of my enological comfort zone and taste a few new wines. And because this is My French Corner, the wines will be French, bien sur. For the next few days, I'm going to be trying out some new wines but the rules are that the wine must be available at the grocer, it must be priced under $10, and, it must be French. Are you with me on this little adventure?

Sante!

5 comments:

  1. I was a little surprised when I went to a housewarming part at my French friend's house and they were serving Three Buck Chuck from Trader Joes ... which I love, so I'm not complaining! I drink the (next) cheapest wine on the planet -- Fish Eye, but it's not French it's Californian! I figured out my daily glass of wine costs me $1.25 a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of none, but I'll stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, Maybe we'll discover life beyond Yellow Tail and Fish Eye!

    Andrea, it's one of the wines on my list.

    Kristine, it will be an adventure . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amigh, It is not french, but Winking Owl wine, found at Aldi, is a really drinkable every day wine, for 3.29/bottle. It comes in Chardonnay, Shiraz and Merlot. For the price you can try it anyway! Here is review/blog with comments: http://www.dranktank.com/?p=18
    cheers,
    La (parisonthecuyahoga.blogspot)

    ReplyDelete