Sunday, January 24, 2010

Que pensez-vous?

You may remember a few weeks ago when I posted about the bundle of brocante ephemera I received from Corey Amaro at Tongue in Cheek?

In my bundle were these wonderful letters from wine proprietors dating from the late 1800s and early 1900s. I decided that I would frame these letters and hang them as a set in my dining room.

But before sinking too much money into having the pieces professionally framed, I framed one myself. You'll laugh (or think it's sacrilege) when I tell you this is a very inexpensive frame from IKEA, but the result is almost exactly what I want.

Instead of placing the letter under the precut mat (which would obscure the beautiful ecriture in the margin), I floated the letter on top of the mat. By placing small knots of cotton string under the corners of the letter, I raised it slightly, so it appears to float. The tiny cotton knots lift the letter with no damage to the fragile paper, and help create a lovely shadow that frames the paper. If you click on the photo you'll get a better idea of what it looks like.

While it's not the perfect frame, nor the perfect shade of mat, it does give me a sense of what the letters will look like once they are all framed.

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. That looks great! How smart to use the knots, never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great - very professional too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. It looks fantastique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea -- both to frame the letters and the technique. It gives me some ideas for Edith's fashion sketches.

    I apologize for being such a terrible correspondent these days. Working on a big project, but you know I still love you and your blog.

    Tishx

    ReplyDelete