Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pommes de terre

Recently I watched Michael Pollan's documentary The Botany of Desire and was reminded how important this food is to cultures all over the world.

I love potatoes; for me they are the ultimate comfort food. I prepare them more often in the colder months, when root vegetables are plentiful and I'm likely to make sauces that marry well with starches.

The French also love potatoes and prepare them many ways. Even in the summer months you can walk into any bistro in Annecy and order the apres ski favorite tartiflette, a regional dish from Haute Savoie made with potatoes, bacon, onion, creme fraiche, and Reblochon cheese.

I know for sure I will make potatoes several times this week, although I don't yet know how I will prepare them. But I thought it might be fun do a mini-series on the humble pomme de terre and share some of my favorite French recipes.

5 comments:

  1. Love potatoes - so comforting.. look forward to your series...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your recipes. I love cooking wth potatoes, particularly red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girlfriend lives in the Hautes-Alpes and prepared her tartiflette for me when I visited her three years ago. It's divine, but sooo rich. I don't think you can go wrong with potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, can't wait to see what you do with these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been making a lot of baked potatoes this winter. Not only because they are yummy but because there is little clean up or prep work. I like potatoes year round. In the summer I pan grill them with butter, onion and caraway seeds. Only in the past few summers have I started eating potato salad, but I found one I love. It has green beans and red potatoes. Maybe we can have a party for it...

    ReplyDelete