Thursday, January 21, 2010

Les chaises

One of the most difficult parts about splitting a household is that possessions that were once shared must now be divided. So, I no longer have my dining room table and chairs. They were beautiful, but were more to my husband's taste than mine, and now they belong to him.

Replacing something cherished isn't easy; nothing looks the same, nothing seems quite right. But searching for a replacement, I found these chairs--eight of them!--at my favorite local antique and furniture shop, Random Harvest. These are vintage harp back chairs from the early 30s and are in excellent condition. They are sturdy, comfortable, and petite, and at a little more than $100 a piece, they were a real find.

When I bought the chairs, the seats were covered in a dingy white vinyl, probably done some time in the 60s. The seats need new padding, but it will be weeks before the reupholsterer can take them. So, as a temporary measure I've recovered them in a linen-type fabric, reminiscent of French dish towels or grain sacks. You can click on the photo for a closer look.

They aren't perfect, but look tres French, and are beautiful with my new, vintage dining table. But that, mes amis, is another story.

9 comments:

  1. It is difficult, I've had to do the same, but wow, I like the chairs and look forward to seeing the table!

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds terribly difficult, but it sounds like you've more than made the best of it with your beautiful new chairs. I love what you've done with the seat cushions.

    Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the chair! I really like how you've covered the seat too. Very French!

    ReplyDelete
  4. S, I don't think the fabric will hold up over the long term, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chairs are great. I can't wait to see the table!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the chair! where's the table!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chairs look fantastic and I love the covers you have used... Tres Chic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the backs of the chairs. The details are what make them so great. And it is shocking how well they matching the table. Both great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chairs are lovely. Although I've always had entirely wooden chairs, I very much like the upholstery. When or if you get tired of it you can change it and it will be new again.

    ReplyDelete