Sunday, January 10, 2010

La Vieille Ferme Côtes-du-Ventoux

I had picked a white wine to pair with this evening's roasted chicken, but at the last minute decided to try another red.

I know that white is the usual partner for chicken, but during the summers in France, we don't stand on ceremony when it comes to wine. Besides, a red seemed like the right choice for a cold winter evening and a chicken roasted with potatoes and root vegetables.

This evening I tried La Vieille Ferme Cote du Ventoux, and loved it! It's a perfect table wine, and I would pair it with beef and certain chicken dishes. In fact, that's what I think the rooster and the hen on the label are really talking about.

This bottle was a 2008 vintage; if I understand it correctly, the grapes for this wine were picked in 2008, kept in vats or oak barrels for ten months, then bottled in July 2009. This might explain why this bottle of La Vieille Ferme Cote du Ventoux wasn't as full-bodied as some reds, which makes me think I would like to try one of the earlier vintages.

I picked-up this bottle at my local Safeway for $6.98, which was well within my $10 limit. Now I'm wishing I had picked up two.

10 comments:

  1. I can still pick up the 2007 and sometimes the 2006 and yes, the earlier ones are nice. We served this at our wedding in the summer and funny enough when we go to our friends homes for dinner, this is what they have on the table!

    Glad you enjoyed it!
    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, I was a little skeptical because of the screw top, but after tasting it, I was persuaded. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet it was delicious - funnily enough this last weekend we have enjoyed a Vielle Ferme Rose (with the temperatures HOT, HOT, HOT) here in Australia) It was great...and I too love the motif on the label..!
    Please see my last post dated 10 January - I have nominated you a 'Kreativ Blogger' award... !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the label on this one and the previous one! K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it wasn't always that way, I was a little miffed about that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love red wine with chicken...especially a nice light pinot.

    It is still a common misconception the screw-top wine bottles indicate cheap wine but in fact more and more prestigious winemakers are using screw caps because they provide an airtight seal, which prevents wine from oxidizing, and because of the occasional issue with wines that are “corked” -- a tainted flavor or smell in wine attributed to a chemical sometimes found in cork. In New Zealand (a country that produces some of my favorite wines) nearly 90% of of the wine are sold in screw-top bottles. it may not be as "romantic" as cork but it seems that more and more wineries are finding it the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know. I will pass this label along to my husband, who's always on the lookout for a cheap thrill in red wines. (I myself cannot drink it without getting a headache. Some Francophile I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Screw tops are becoming more and more popular with inexpensive and moderately priced French wines. Australian wines also use them more often than not. Not sure why the switch, but at least it saves me the embarrassment of a bottle that has cork IN it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Euro Chic, and (my sister) Darcy. I knew that screw tops were being used more frequently, but didn't know it was a French thing, too. When it comes to wine, I associate the French with such great tradition and pride, so a screw top didn't fit the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this bottle! I would have tried it just for that!

    ReplyDelete