Thursday, October 1, 2009

To market, to market . . . again

Earlier this year I posted a series on daily marketing and planning meals day-to-day. I enjoyed writing the series and it garnered great comments from readers.

But a friend recently made the point that, while daily grocery shopping may work for me, most families plan menus for the week, do a weekly grocery shopping at a chain store, and don't shop the farmers market. Families scour the weekly food circulars, shop for what is on special, and plan their meals accordingly.

While this may not be the French way, it is an American way, and a cultural difference. But does that mean that shopping supermarket specials can’t yield delicious, healthy, seasonal meals?

I decided to take a close look at this week’s grocery circulars and challenge myself: using only the products on special, and staples from my fridge and pantry, I planned to create a week’s worth of meals using fresh ingredients, for a family of four. To further challenge myself, I wanted to do it for under $50.

So, armed with my Euro shopping trolley and my French attitude toward food and grocery shopping, I walked to the Safeway.

Next post: Qu'ai-je acheter?

8 comments:

  1. I cant wait to see what you come up with. The other half was just talking about how he misses cooking, but we have such different schedules that we hardly have dinner together anymore.

    I told him we need to make a bunch of meals on Sunday to use throughout the week. This will be perfect for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see either...I shop for 8 people and as much as I'd love to do it as a daily affair I find it much too difficult.
    I'm always looking for fresh ideas and insights...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun challenge. Can't wait for your results -- and I'm glad to see you're back in the saddle again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good experiment. I look forward to seeing how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can hardly wait to see your results and all for $50? Do we get recipes?

    I like to do a major Picard pass for the week or so, and fresh veg, fruit shopping three to four times/week. (Picard, I know you know, but for those who don't it's the world's most fabulous frozen food chain. It has brilliant prepared meals, but I rarely buy them. I buy fish, some soups -- no salt, no additives, "bio" and sorbet.)

    Bon chance.

    I'm so glad you're feeling better.

    xo,
    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been DYING for one of those shopping trolleys but my BF thinks that it will be worse dragging that up the hill than carrying the bags in our hands. Do you find it hard to pull up a hill?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tine,
    It's an easy cart to manage, though I don't encounter any hills. For that you might want a trolley with fatter wheels? Anyway, my cart is a Riesenthal; you can check out the collection here: http://www.reisenthel.com/us/index.html

    ReplyDelete