Monday, July 20, 2009

The Tour de France in Annecy

Today is a rest day for cyclists in the Tour before resuming battle in the Alps and arriving in Annecy on Thursday for the 40K loop around the lake. Click on the map for a closer look.

Lac d'Annecy is framed by mountains, most notably Mont Veyrier, which is a haven for paragliders. The lake covers 10.5 square miles, with an average depth of 135 ft. and is one of the cleanest lakes in the world. The villages that encircle the lake are beautiful--Veyrier, Menthon-Saint-Bernard, Talloires--each with its own unique personality and offerings.

I am sorry I will miss the Tour as I don't arrive in Annecy until early Friday morning, but I'm sure I'll experience the remnants of this exciting event.

6 comments:

  1. What fun! You must be getting so excited for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss your postings while you are gone. I hope you have a terrific visit!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsi, I am excited but can't believe how quickly it's here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi, thanks so much. I'm not likely to post the first few weeks I'm there, but am hoping to do some kind of series from France, maybe during the last week of my stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget how long that is. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your time in France. I look forward to your return and your many stories of your time in Annecey.

    ReplyDelete