Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The French Laundry Cookbook

The blogosphere is an amazing place. When I started this blog I had no idea that there was a world out there where people connect, have conversations, give things to each other, become friends. It really is amazing.

Just yesterday I connected with an artist whose work and blog I discovered on Etsy. Then, this morning while doing a search on “french laundry” (don’t ask), I discovered yet another blog I wanted to share.

Currently on the Yahoo French Chic/FC group there is a thread about the soon-to-be-released movie, "Julie & Julia." As you may know, the story is about a young woman who cooks her way through each of the 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and blogs about the experience.

What does this have to do with french laundry and the blogosphere? Well, I discovered another blog, French Laundry at Home, written by a woman who has cooked her way through chef Thomas Keller’s The French Laundry Cookbook. A timely discovery, bien sûr!

You're probably familiar with The French Laundry restaurant, located in Napa, but I just recently learned about the restaurant, and have never seen the cookbook, so the blog caught my interest. Have you visited the restaurant or used the cookbook? Share, svp! I'd love to hear about it.

6 comments:

  1. I am dying to go to French Laundry since it is in my neck of the woods, but it is not easy to get a reservation and it is very, very expensive $500-600 per person (with wine). But I will get there one day! Thanks for the FL@home blog info, I am checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi, I thought you might appreciate the post since you are in SF.

    That is a LOT of money for a meal, but I guess you are paying for the once-in-a-lifetime experience, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have been trying to work up the nerve to pull the trigger on the French Laundry for about four years and still haven't done it. We have, however, been to Thomas Keller's other restaurant in Yountville, Bouchon. And it is fabulous!

    I have the French Laundry cookbook and have never made anything from it; it is extremely complex cooking. Worth checking out of the library to peruse, but I almost think of it as more of a coffee table book than a cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsi, yes, that is what I have heard--more of a coffee table book than a book for everyday cooking. Did you check out the blog? It's interesting to read what the author has to say about the book.

    Are all Keller's restaurants as upscale as The French Laundry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I hadn't looked at the woman's blog until just now. I must say, after reading her posting on which recipes she'd recommend for the Keller newbie, I am intrigued. I think I'll take the book off my bookshelf tonight and give it a fresh look at bedtime.

    Bouchon is still quite upscale and spendy, but certainly not to the tune of $500+ per person. The last time we went, which was two years ago, I think the total was about $220, but that included a bottle of champagne. Without that, we probably would've saved about $85. (But it was a great part of the experience!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. here I like to share, my exquisite experiences at French Laundry, www.pbase.com/lisay/french_laundrynapa_200705
    A picture is worth a thousand words~~~~ :)

    ReplyDelete