Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Swan, by Camille Saint-Saëns

Please forgive me, but this post has nothing to do with tartes, galettes, crème fraîche, French market baskets, baguettes, croissants, or Monoprix. It's a tiny post about one of my other passions: the cello.

I began learning cello as an adult; I'm not accomplised, but playing brings great joy to my life. One of the blogs I follow is written by a woman, Emily Wright. Emily is a professional cellist, teacher, writer. Emily actually enjoys teaching adults, which is unusual. On Wednesday, she posted this link on her blog, Stark Raving Cello.

Even if you're not a fan of classical music, you will be enchanted by this short video clip. The piece, Le Cygne, is by French composer Camille Saint-Saëns, so there is a French connection.

If you check it out, let me know what you think.


6 comments:

  1. It was very powerful and moving ... I especially liked how the emotions moved across his face and how he grasped the complexity of it. very beautiful.
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lovely. I love how much narrative he derived from the piece, and how much he so clearly loved it.

    I thought that person's comment about the vibrato was sooo snarky. Good grief. Seriously??

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you play the Cello, it is a beautiful instrument. I have been wanting to learn the play the violin but I have yet to try. I will have to view the video clip this evening when I am home, no sound here at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I do not agree with the previous commentator - not so simple

    ReplyDelete