Monday, July 13, 2009

Bringing France Home

There are several books about French living that have become our favorites, among them Vicki Archer's My French Life and Robert Arbor's Joie de Vivre. But there is one book that I rarely see mentioned: Bringing France Home, by Cheryl Maclachlan.

This book was part of the Bringing it Home series published in the 1990s and includes Bringing Italy Home and Bringing England Home, as well as the book on French living. The series is designed to show how to “incorporate the very best of another country's decorating, entertaining, and kitchen secrets into American homes.”

As I prepare to leave for France, I thought it might be fun to revisit this book and share some of MacLachlan’s observations with you. Over the next week or so I'll write about some of my favorite parts which include "How to Make a Bed," and "How to Set the Table" a la Française, her writing on French textiles, and the simple pleasures of French living.

I'd also love to hear from anyone who is familiar with the book, or knows of others like it.

5 comments:

  1. I love this book so much and look forward to reading your thoughts on it. You're right, this one always flies way under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister has this book and I have never looked through it, shame on me. I will read it when I visit her next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this book and I'm glad you posted about it. I will be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened upon this book in a second hand shop and it is now a favorite, which I return to again and again. French style looks effortless and now I know why!

    ReplyDelete