Monday, June 29, 2009

Tomato, goat cheese, and onion tart

I learned to cook in the late 70s-early 80s by reading Gourmet magazine. Every month the magazine arrived, and I would eagerly try some new recipe. When I moved to Washington, DC, I decided it was time to part with fifteen year's worth of Gourmet, so I replaced the collection with several of Gourmet’s cookbooks. One of my favorites is Gourmet’s Five Ingredients, published in 2002. I appreciate this cookbook for it’s simplicity: every recipe uses only five ingredients.

The tomato, goat cheese, and onion tart I’m making for this evening’s dinner is from this cookbook, and is the little black dress of savory tarts: it can be dressed up or down, is perfect for lunch or dinner, picnic or dinner party, and can be served warm or at room temperature. The recipe is now available on epicurious.com, so you can check it out there and read the reviews.

If you have already made your pastry dough, this recipe couldn’t be easier. You can also make substitutions; this evening I’m substituting heirloom tomatoes purchased at the farmers market for the plum tomatoes called for in the recipe. Likewise, if you're not a fan of goat cheese, you might try substituting a milder mozarella. Tarts are very forgiving and lend themselves to creative substitutions.

With a green salad, and your favorite wine, this tart makes a lovely, satisfying summer meal.

Bon appétit!

Tomorrow's post: Savory onion tart

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I'm not only going to try this tart recipe, I'm going to check out that cookbook. It sounds right up my alley.
    Thanks for this series.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    I wish I could turn on the oven, but after a very protracted rainy spring (thankfully!), today is our first day of summer heat. I am watching the weather reports for the next cool and rainy day because I have tartes on the brain.

    Last night, I made Alice Waters' Goat Cheese Souffle ("Art of Simple Food") for the first time, and it was simple and divine. I thought I better try it before the heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Goat Chesse tarts. This looks amazing. I'm going to have to try it. I'm very hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy! I am going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started subscribing to Gourmet magazine and I love it. This looks like it would taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete