Friday, June 26, 2009

Tarte pans and galettes

As with most things, when preparing food, we have our preferences. Take tarte pans, for example. Some bakers swear by traditional ceramic tarte dishes, while others prefer tarte tins. Among those who prefer tins, some will only use non-stick, while others appreciate the challenge of tins with removable bottoms. Then there’s fluted v. non-fluted, square v. rectangular v. round, deep v. shallow And then there are those who prefer no pan at all—so many choices!

I own a round, 9” fluted tin with a removable bottom, so, that is my preference. In the 20+ years since I’ve owned it, my tin has been party to countless tartes and quiches, some successful, and others, well, not so much. I prefer this pan because I know it: I know how thin or thick the dough must be to achieve the perfect color, I know the how to adjust the baking time for various fillings, and I know exactly how long to let the tart cool before I attempt to separate the ring from the tray.

Like me, you have a favorite tarte, quiche, or pie pan, oui? So for the tarte recipes, use what works best for you. There is no need to purchase a special tarte pan, in fact, if you make a galette, you need no pan at all. A galette is a hand-shaped tarte; the filling is added to rolled out pastry dough while leaving an 1.5-2" border. Once the filling is added, the border is folded up onto the filling; some bakers simply fold it over, others prefer to take the time to pleat the dough and create a more decorative pattern. This article by David Lebovitz, considers the galette and has some excellent demonstration photos.

So, what do you think?

Tomorrow’s post: Shopping the farmers market



1 comment:

  1. I have a round tart pan with the removable bottom, but do prefer to use the rectangular one. It seems more French to me. But like you said, it's nice to use the same thing over and over when you know exactly how it will behave.

    ReplyDelete