Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pâte brisée

I’m sure many of you have your favorite recipe for pastry dough, either discovered after much trial and error, or if you’re lucky, one that has been handed down through your family. And if you’re not a baker, a ready-made refrigerated dough may be your preference.

No matter the recipe, basic pastry dough—the type you might use for pie crust-- is my choice for tarts. Pâte brisée has a high fat-to-flour ratio, which makes make it rich and flaky; my current recipe is from The Art of Simple Food, but there are many good recipes available. Pâte brisée is easy to make, though it does take some time; I justify the time by doubling the recipe, using what I need, and freezing the remainder.

Pâte brisée works well for sweet and savory tarts, though for fruit tarts some people (and tarts) prefer a sweeter pâte sucrée .

So if you would like to try a few tarts recipes next week, prepare (or purchase) your dough; you can easily refrigerate it for a few days and use it through the week. Don’t have a favorite pastry dough recipe? You might want to check out this one from David Lebovitz, a surprising and simple recipe, as well as a fun read with some great photos.


Tomorrow's post: Tarte pans and galettes

3 comments:

  1. I think we've talked about this before, but I love The Art of Simple Food!!! Another reason to go get it -- the dough/crust recipe for tarts!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to eat a wonderful meal at Alice Waters' Chez Panisse restaurant this past week. It was so glorious and beautiful. I want to eat warm chevre salads every day for the rest of my life, I think.

    I will check out her recipe in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsi, how lucky for you! Did you eat at the cafe or the restaurant? What did you have? Do share

    ReplyDelete