Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Open House at the French Embassy

On Saturday, the embassies of the 27 EU member states here in Washington DC will open their doors to the public. Included, of course, is the Embassy of France. The last two years I attended the event with several of my students; on Saturday, I will attend again, this time with friends.

The Embassy has a rich and interesting program planned: opportunities to meet with members of each department—diplomatic, cultural, scientific, military, etc.—as well as champagne sipping, mini-French lessons, children’s workshops, and a cheese tasting.

A highlight of the day will be the sit down luncheon; the menu was announced today.

Salade
Taboulé
Mesclun salad
Farfalle pasta salad

Main Course (choice of one)
Filet of cod Marseillaise (with Saffron sauce and fresh tomatoes)
Duck confit
Braised lamb with vegetables

Sides (choice of two)
Scalloped potatoes
Haricots verts - amandine style
Rice pilaf
Pureé of carrots

Dessert
Assorted cheeses & breads
Assorted pastries


Needless to say, the day will be fantastique and I am excited for the entire event.

6 comments:

  1. Nice! Is the even free? I would go with the filet, the scalloped potatoes, and the haricots verts. Isn't the French Embassy really close to the Phillips?

    P.S. Many thanks for the gorgeous tea towel, which arrived yesterday! It is so pretty. Do you use yours in the kitchen? I am afraid that my husband or son would grab it to mop up coffee, and that would be the end of that. I'm considering framing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I would love to be able to attend that event, it sounds fantastic. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The menu looks delicious. You are going to have so much fun here. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    Do you have an Alliance Francaise in your area? They are always sending out invitations to things like this of interest to members.

    I wanted to thank you for the lovely art you sent me today! It's already on my inspiration board and it is so perfect. Thank you so much!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I couldn't pass up the ACEO; I'm flattered you'll be adding it to your inspiration board.

    Oui, there is an Alliance Française in DC! In fact, on Tuesday evening will be a lecture there by the famous perfumer Christophe Laudamiel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The event is part of the "Shortcut to Europe" that is sponsored by the all the EU embassies. I believe it is the third year, and yes, it is free and open to the public. There is a bus that shuttles between the embassies; in previous years I have visited France, Spain, Belguim, Italy, and Germany.

    Marsi, the Embassy is located on Reservoir Road, directly across from Georgetown Hospital. The emabassy and La Maison Française are set back from the road and you wouldn't know it is there, except for the signage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got a little faint when you said there was going to be a lecture by a famous perfumer. I so wish I could go and hear this.

    ReplyDelete