Thursday, May 28, 2009

La Perruche

After work I did my usual bread and market run to pick up ingredients for this evening's meal. I also needed a few staples, including sugar cubes. Walking down the aisle at Whole Foods I was surprised to see they now carry La Perruche brand sugar cubes.

I bring a few boxes of these raw sugar cubes home from France each summer, and they seem to last until I can buy them again the following year. But a few months ago, I gave a box to a friend, so my supply was dangerously low. Made in France from imported cane sugar, La Perruche cubes are perfect for a cup of coffee or tea. They're tidy and sit nicely on a saucer; they melt quickly and have a richer taste than the processed white sugar cubes.

Anyway, j'adore the bright orange box and almost laughed when I saw them on the shelf at Whole Foods. And at $3.39 they were a great deal! I love little surprises like this, especially ones that remind me of Annecy.

Do you have a favorite French product that you can buy in your grocery store?

7 comments:

  1. I love these sugars and also the white ones in the blue packaging as well..Happy weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I can only think of French products I can't get here ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to buy the fancy sugar cubes that are shaped like hearts, diamonds, and clubs! Sometimes I put them in glass jars and give them as gifts, they're so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a real sugar cube for the first time in Pairs. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using real sugar cubes in my tea. I wonder if I can find there at Fresh Market?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to my local Wholefood market and didn't find any, where do you live?

    ReplyDelete