Saturday, May 9, 2009

La fête des mères

In France, la fête des mères won’t be celebrated for a few weeks, but here in the states, Mother's Day is celebrated tomorrow, May 10. I want to wish a Happy Mother's Day to ma soeur.

Darcy is younger than me, and I usually refer to her as my “younger sister.” She is, but this doesn’t begin to describe this woman. Smart, accomplished, well-traveled. Chic, intuitive, social, kind. Beautiful, generous, fun, honest.

But more than any of these qualities, my sister is a wonderful mother. She waited a long time to be a mom, but now she has two beautiful boys—Maxime et Jules. Jules is the spitting image of his father, and Max is his mother’s twin. I love both boys, but when I am with Maxime I am reminded of my sister as a child. The same nose, the same fine blonde hair, the same smile. When I’m with Max, I’m with my little sister, all over again. How lucky am I?

So today I want to say Happy Mother’s Day to my sister Darcy, the most wonderful mother I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment