Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Le pain quotidien

After I leave work, but before heading to the grocer, I make my favorite stop of the day: the bakery, to buy bread.

It's habit now, but if I'm serving dinner there will be bread on the table. And though we never finish the baguette at dinner, someone will have bread and jam for breakfast, or, I'll take a bit of bread for my lunch. What's left will be for the birds. How very French, n'est pas?

I'm fortunate to have a patissier in my neighborhood. It's true, their pastries are much better than their bread, but I can't complain. The baguettes are fresh every day, and buying bread is a daily ritual I cherish.

Despite what Mireille Guiliano says in her books, many of us are counting calories and carbs. Does anyone else still indulge in le pain quotidien? I would feel much better--maybe absolved--if you said "oui!"

Tomorrow's post: Dîner jeudi

7 comments:

  1. We do, we are lucky to have some great bakeries around...although lately we have been trying to do a lot more pain-complet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat bread everyday,I cannot give it up. I have started to make my own bread but I can't resist a fresh baguette at the bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say Oui! I love your blog...I will be sure to come back regularly..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ought to try making Mark Bittman's No Knead Bread. If you Google "no knead bread," the first hit is the recipe. It is AMAZING, and so super-simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A life without bread is a life not worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said it, Darrell.

    ReplyDelete