Tuesday, March 24, 2009

La vache qui rit

In the summer when we take my nephews to the lake, we pack lots of snacks. A healthy snack the boys enjoy is small cubes or wedges of "The Laughing Cow" cheese, or La vache qui rit, as it is known in France. "The Laughing Cow" cheese has a long history in France, dating back to the 1920s. Available in the states for years, the cheese recently gained in popularity when it was included as part of the South Beach Diet.

This is not gourmet cheese, but it is found in many French households. Ah, ah, before you say that no respectable French would have such a cheese in their fridge, my sister's French husband said "The Laughing Cow" was one of the foods they always had in the house when he was growing-up. For me, "Laughing Cow" is an inexpensive (and delicious) way to bring a little France into my day.

Because it is pasteurized, the cheese can be left unrefrigerated for hours, so it is perfect for packing in a lunch. At my neighborhood grocer, I can buy a package of eight wedges for about $3.50, which last me the week. The cheese is also perfect if you enjoy a cheese course with your dîner but don't have that Comté in the fridge.

So, if you haven't discovered "The Laughing Cow," look for it the next time you go to the grocery store, and you too may find yourself asking, "Pourquoi la vache qui rit?"

Comments SVP.

8 comments:

  1. I love Laughing Cow cheese too, I always have some on hand. I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I am very appreciative when readers leave comments.

    My hope is to post two to three times a week. so yes, please visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why have I not tried this? I'll pick some up at the grocery and try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, try it! It really is good, the packaging is delightful, and it is so French. Thank you again for reading and commenting. Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing Cow takes me right back to grad school, when I worked all day on campus and then went to night classes -- effectively eating two meals at school every day. Laughing Cow, table crackers, yogurt, and fruit for lunch.

    I added your blog to my blog reader as soon as you posted about it on FC, but then it seemed to disappear for a few days. Glad that you're back -- or that I am able to see you again, as the case may be.

    Amities,
    Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsi, thanks for not giving up and checking back! I am new to blogging so it took me a few days to figure it out. But yes, I am here and having a great time blogging.

    And thanks for your Laughing Cow story; have you seen their recent television ads?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two small girls and love this cheese, but have not considered it as a snack for them ... do your nephews eat it alone or with crackers and bread?
    Kristi from FC
    PS so happy to access your blog again. For some reason my bookmark showed it was no longer available, not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristi, thanks for checking back. Early on there were some glitches which made the blog disappear for a while.

    I have only seen my nephews eat the cheese alone--especially the little cubes--but my sister says they also have it with bread. It really is a great snack and so convenient when packing snacks for a day trip or in a lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete