Saturday, March 28, 2009

Emile Henry

Preparing meals during the week is a hurried affair. It's easy enough to set the table with linens, light some candles, open a bottle of wine. But the meal preparation is rushed in an effort to get dinner on the lovely table.

Today is Friday. Friday begins the weekend, and the weekends are different: a slower pace and more time to shop and prepare meals. In season, there is time to visit the farmer's market. In the colder months, the weekend allows time for a slow cooking cassoulet or a fragrant roast. The weekend is the time to try new recipes or perfect favorites. And, preparing meals on the weekends is a chance for me to use my favorite oven cookware by Emile Henry.

I've always appreciated these simple, unadorned gratin dishes; what I didn't appreciate was the price. Then during a visit to France, I was in one of the hypermarkets; browsing the wares I discovered an aisle where the shelves were lined with Emile Henry ovenware (hypermarkets are similar to Target or Wal-Mart, except the wares are French). The prices were reasonable: 15 €, as opposed to $49 USD. I couldn't resist buying one, and so began my collection of Emile Henry. My very first piece, a small oval gratin dish, is pictured above.

Can't get to France? Non, non, don't be discouraged! You see, I chose to post about this because Emile Henry is currently on sale at amazon.com. While it is not deeply discounted, many pieces can be had at a savings. You can also buy it online at the Emile Henry Factory Outlet. Again, not a huge savings, but you can find some bargains. Finally, if all you're after is the look, check T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores; I've never been there when I didn't see a beautiful gratin dish.

8 comments:

  1. I really like Emile Henry bakeware. I have a pie dish and an oval casserole dish both in the same green you show. I use them all the time. I didn't know they were so much less in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much less in France. In fact, I only purchased because the pieces were affordable. During the week, I use the stovetop more than the oven, so I don't use my gratin dishes. But I use them a lot on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, mistake in the first post, had to write it again. I have a lot of Le Creuset but I am tempted to start collecting the Emile Henry as well. Maybe I will buy a couple of pieces when I go the Paris this fall. Lovely post, I like to make a nice meal on the weekends too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le Creuset! I have one piece and love it. It's also less expensive in France, and the hypermarts are a great place to look. Since you're going to Paris, check out Monoprix--they might carry Emile Henry.

    I should write a post about my experience in a Paris five franc store . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I found my Emile Henry at a local discount store too for less than ten dollars (for a smaller model.) Now I see some at the small supermarket near my village -- your post makes me want to buy more.

    Nice idea for a blog and good writing too! Welcome to the French circles of the blogosphere. I don't keep up with everybody, but there are some great bloggers and commenters our there. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Betty. I appreciate your comment about my writing; I enjoy it and blogging provides a creative outlet.

    Until I started poking around, I never realized how much interest there was in all things French. But you're right-there are "French circles of the blogosphere." And yes, it is hard to keep up with all of them, but I hope you visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what do you mean by "so much less"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a casserole dish, Emile Henry, France, stamped 19.03 and DC7...with the same logo as on your picture. Can you tell me how to find out if it is authentic and it's value and how to cook with it? or even where to find this info?? thanks!

    ReplyDelete